Wednesday, February 7, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 6 (Favourite Name)

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 6 (Favourite Name)

There are many names in my ancestoral tree despite many common Anglo names repeated generation after generation.  But I'm sure many people have a substantial number of Johns, Williams, Roberts, Richards, Marys, Elizabeths, Janes, Margarets, etc in the trees.  I do have a Moses (not the biblical one) as well as a King (not a royal title).

Given my love of family and traditions, I think my favourite names are my parents as they are both named after their respective grandparents. 

William John Allen.  My father's grandfathers were William Daisley Allen and John Albert Cooper.  He had the benefit of knowing both of those men during his young years as they both lived in the same rural community.  That may be why is was always known as Jack.

Pearl Mary Eveleen Schell.  My mother's grandmothers were Mary (nee Deadman) Schell and Elsie Pearl (nee Mumberson) Bates.  Although my Great-grandmother's first name was Elsie, she was known as Pearl.  My mother was born on her Aunt Effie's birthday, so my grandparents added Effie's real name of Eveleen to their daughter's name.  Effie wasn't technically an aunt, but the wife of a first cousin of Pearl.  My mother grew up using the family nickname of Sis, but in her adult life away from the rural community where she grew up, she started to use the name Eveleen.  But at family gatherings she still answers to Sis.

No comments:

Post a Comment