Tuesday, February 13, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 7 (Valentine)

Valentine's Day is this week, so obviously the top for the week is Valentine.

Although my husband, Terry, and I celebrate Valentine's Day on February 14th, we celebrate our love every day.  I receive a bouquets of flowers from Terry at various times during the year, "just because", rather than specific days like Valentine's Day, birthday or wedding anniversary.  Those days have become too commercialized.

My parents' relationship is another example of celebrating love everyday, not just one or two days a year.  My father was not a demonstrative man, but his silent actions that seem to come natural to him showed his love for his wife everyday.  I am fortunate to have found a man with similar instincts.

A few years ago, my mother revealed that she had a secret stash of letters from my father.  I believe it was the first wedding anniversary after his death - she spent the day reading them.  She refuses to let anyone else read them and has made me promise to bury them with her when she dies.

She did show me a Valentine card that Dad had given her at one time - probably before they were married.  Money would have been limited in those days and he would have chosen to save money for other "more important things".  Which makes the rare card more precious.


No comments:

Post a Comment